Saturday, 22 August 2009

Apple Pork Chops


I got home last night and suddenly realised I had an appointment I couldn't miss, so dinner would have to be fast and easily attained. While this recipe started off as an intention to make fruity meatballs, in the end I had so many subs that it ended up being more 'inspired by' than 'from' my book. The following recipe is my version.

Apologies for lack of pictures, as I said I was in a rush, so when some pics didn't come out well I didn't get a chance to retake them.

Ingredients serves, well, me, but it depends how hungry you are.

Two boneless pork chops
1 apple, cored and sliced
Approx 200ml vegetable stock
1/2 red onion, chopped fairly small
Tsp oil
Tsp flour
Tbsp Vietnamese caramel sauce (optional)
Thyme
Rosemary

Substitutions

I used the caramel sauce I made for the Vietnamese Ribs I made a week or so ago if you want you can replace it with honey or omit it all together.

I had half a red onion left in my fridge so I used it, I think you could sub regular onions if you wanted.

Method

1) Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat, then add the pork chops, chopped onion, and herbs to the pan. Rosemary has a way of overwhelming if you're not careful, so don;t be too heavy-handed with it. Brown for about two minutes on each side to get a nice colour and allow the onions to soften and caramelize a little.

2) Add the flour and a stir for a few seconds until it disappears. This will help the sauce to thicken

3) Add the sliced apples, caramel/honey (if using) and stock to the pan, bring tot he boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the apples and pork are cooked, and the sauce has thickened (if your apples/pork chops are on the thicker side you may need to add a little more stock so your sauce doesn't dry up)

I had to have this over rice because that's what I had on hand, but it would be perfect served over mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment