Friday, 28 August 2009

Beef and Orange Stir Fry


Apologies for the lack of updates, I've been full of cold this week and it made me lazy, so I mostly stayed out of the kitchen. I'm feeling much better today though so we can press on with the quick dinner I made myself tonight.

This recipe comes from the Martha Stewart Living book 'Great Food Fast'. I spent some time today going through marking recipes I wanted to try and this was among them.

Ingredients

3 oranges
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp soy sauce
680g (1 1/2 lbs) trimmed, boneless sirloin or rib-eye steak, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 tbsp cornstarch
1-2tbsp canola oil
6 scallions (spring onions), green part only, cut into 1 inch lengths.

Rice for serving

Substitutions

For the meat I bought a ready sliced pack of Japanese beef, the slivers are thin, like bacon or parma ham. I would have preferred to cut up a steak and have some thicker pieces, able to stand up to stir-frying a little better and less damaging to the orange so the pieces would stay more whole, but that would be really expensive here, and the taste is fine.

Method

1) Into a small bowl, finely grate the zest and squeeze the juice from 1 orange. Add garlic and soy sauce.


2) With a sharp paring knife, peel the remaining 2 oranges. Slice the oranges crosswise 1/2 inch thick, then halve the slices; push out and discard any seeds. Set aside.




3) In a medium bowl, toss the meat with the cornstarch until coated. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick pan/skillet over high heat. Work in batches (adding more oil if needed), brown the beef on all sides, 3-5 minutes; transfer to a plate.

If your using the same kind of beef I was it obviously won't take that long, so keep an eye on it until you're happy with how it's done.

4)Pour the juice mixture into the pan and boil until syrupy (about 1 minute). Return the beef to the pan; add orange pieces and spring onions. Toss until coated and heated through. Serve hot with rice.

This is a quick and easy weekday meal, perfect after you get home from work and don't want to spend too much time cooking. Especially if your kitchen is as hot as mine was today!

No comments:

Post a Comment