Wednesday, 12 August 2009

Carrot cake


My muffin pans arrived from amazon.co.jp this morning, along with my new copy of Great Food Fast. I've been craving carrot cake recently, but have been unable to get my mum to send her own awesome recipe, so the book's version seemed like a good alternative.

Ingredients (makes 12 full sized muffins)

125g (1 1/4 cup) shredded coconut
250g (1 cup) sugar
85ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil, plus more for pan if needed
2 tbsp fresh orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
160g 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp flour
165g (1 1/2 cups) shredded carrot
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Substitutions

The majority of the shredded coconut is toasted as a topping, I don't hate it, but I have my limits, so I discarded it and just eyeballed approximately how much I wanted in the batter.

I don't like walnuts so I left them out

Along with the allspice I added a generous shake of cinnamon and nutmeg, completely optional but I prefer it.

I used canola oil.

I have a full size muffin pan and a mini (the results of which are pictured above), so I made a mix of both. I haven't iced the larger ones yet, but I'll get to that tomorrow and possibly update pictures then.

Method

1) Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spread 100g (1 cup) of the shredded coconut out on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer the coconut into a small bowl and set aside to cool.

2) In a bowl combine sugar, oil, orange juice, vanilla, and eggs.


3) Stir in baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and salt. Add flour; mix. Stir in the shredded carrots, the walnuts, and the remaining 25g (1/4 cup) shredded coconut.

4)Oil a standard muffin tine or line with paper muffin cases; distribute the batter evenly.


5) Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool before frosting with cream cheese icing. Garnish with reserved toasted coconut.


No comments:

Post a Comment