Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Coconut Lime Chicken


I've just realised that while this picture has been in my Flickr account for a while, I hadn't actually finished the post on it. My bad!

This recipe comes from Chaos in the Kitchen. I served it with brown rice and a serving of the best broccoli of your life from the Amateur Gourmet. I halved this recipe when I used it.

Ingredients (serves 4)

2lbs (900g) boneless, skinless chicken breast
3 tbsp (45ml) oil, I used canola
zest of one lime
1 tsp ground cumin
1.5 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
1.5 tsp salt
2 tbsp (30g) sugar
2 tbsp curry powder
0.5 cup (125ml) coconut milk
a pinch of cayenne pepper
1 minced small hot chili (optional)
0.25 up cilantro to garnish
fresh lime wedges to garnish

Substitutes

Not many surprisingly. I can't get fresh cilantro but I had dried coriander leaf? Unsure if it would be an acceptable replacement, and not thinking the dried stuff would particularly add tot he look the way a touch a fresh green can, I chose to ignore it. I chose not to add the optional chili though I could have, and everything else was available here.

I didn't have a meat tenderizer, but any smooth, heavy object can work.

Method

1) Remove skin from the chicken breast. If you buy yours skinless obviously skip this part, but I don't. You need to butterfly the chicken breast, so starting at the thick end, cut down the centre (not all the way) and open it out like a book. You can see from the picture that I cut a little too far down with mine.



2)Place each breast between two sheets of parchment paper (or between plastic etc) and using either a meat mallet or another smooth heavy surface (like the bottom of a small pan etc), carefully pound the meat until it's one even thickness. For me the only heavy smooth item I had that fit the bill was a big ass jar of marmalade one of my grandmother-type adult students had given me a while back.


It worked perfectly.

3) In a large enough bowl to hold the chicken, mix all the remaining ingredients except the lime wedges and the cilantro you have listed for garnish.


4)Marinate the chicken in the mixture for at least two hours. You can use the time to get any side dishes ready.

5) After time is up, remove chicken and reserve excess marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and keep boiling for two minutes. The sauce has had raw chicken in it so this step is important, but I did find that my mixture went very thick, so you may need to add a little water and keep stirring. After boiling for 2 minutes turn down the heat and stir occasionally to ensure it doesn't burn.

6) In a heavy skillet or grill pan, heat a splash of oil over high heat. You will have to cook the chicken in batches to prevent over crowding the pan, this wasn't an issue for me because I had reduced the recipe, but if you're making the full thing or more then keep your cooked chicken pieces in a warm oven or under foil while you cook the rest. Place the breasts in the hot pan and cook without turning for a couple minutes, then flip the breasts over and cook until the other side is golden, it shouldn't take long depending on the thickness of your chicken.


7) Sprinkle with fresh lime juice and cilantro. Serve with sauce on the side.



No comments:

Post a Comment