Monday, 10 August 2009

Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake


It appears I've been getting too confident in the kitchen. Every now and then you get taken down a peg or two by a recipe; today was that day.

Take a look at at this. This is the recipe I was using from over on Smitten Kitchen. See the beautiful photography? The golden brown crisp exterior, filled with a moist, blueberry studded yellow filling? The lightly applied gentle snowfall of icing sugar?

Well, that didn't happen.

It all started really well, I don't think my downfall was hidden anywhere in my prep. Ingredients were assembled:


I can't tell you how good the lemon was making this batter smell. When I was young I would go to my grandfather's house with my older sister and sit on his kitchen counters watching him mix up his cakes. Afterward we would flip a coin to see who got to lick the mixing spoon and who got to take a teaspoon to the bowl. This is the kind of batter you scrape the bowl for.



So everything was fine right up until I got to here:



Oh Noes! Apparently looking up this convection oven time/temp calculator should have occurred to me before putting the cake in, yes?

Hoping to salvage the last hour of anticipation I performed some quick cake surgery


But as with any balding man, the illusion could be kept up from some angles...


...but not from others


Okay. So my cake is not what we'd term 'a looker' but it's what's inside that counts right?

Sadly, adding insult to injury, I cut into my cake to find that all my blueberries had sunk to the bottom.


It actually still tastes rather good, but let's be honest; it has a face only a mother could love (and if we're really honest, I'm not overly keen).

Here endeth the tragic tale of the blueberry lemon cake. Convection Oven: 1, Me: 0.

We shall fight this battle again some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment