Saturday, 8 August 2009

Salted White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies


For the most part, I don't make cookies in my kitchen. Don't get me wrong, I love cookies and I love baking, but my little convection oven means that I can cook a maximum of 6 at a time. This leads to me doing laps in my kitchen every X amount of minutes, and a complex factory line system of next raw batch, wire rack, space for hot exiting baking tray, finished cool plate/box that always seems a touch too big for my little table. With this recipe you have to rotate the cookies half way through so I'm yoyo-ing more than usual.

However, I wanted to make a little thank you gesture to the school office for getting my new refrigerator sorted for me, so I decided to man up and deal with the constant back and forth for a couple of hours.

Fortunately, these cookies were totally worth it.

Recipe from smittenkitchen.com. I made about 3 dozen cookies from this recipe, but it really depends on the size of each. Metric conversions added by me, so blame me for any mistakes.

Ingredients

1 cup (175g) all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) (200g) unsalted butter, slightly softened
1 cup (250g) sugar
1/4 cup (50g) packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups (225g) old-fashioned rolled oats

6 ounces (170g) good-quality white chocolate bar, chopped (not “white chocolate” chips; they’re almost always artificial. I am adamant about this.)

1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt (for sprinkling on top)

Substitutions
My supermarket had precisely one type of white chocolate bar so I didn't have a choice, but I too much prefer breaking up bars to buying chips. The bar I bought was quite thin, so I out it in the freezer for half an hour and then took it out and used the base of a knife to pound it for 20 second or so. The result was a pile of good sized but pleasantly irregular shaped chocolate pieces. With the amount of time my cookie dough spends in my warm kitchen because of the whole relay race setup, freezing helps stop it melting too quickly.

I couldn't get nice flakes of sea salt, but I found some ground seas salt a sprinkled a little on top, it was very tasty.

1) Preheat oven to 350/175C degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and table salt in a medium bowl.

2. Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula, then add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl again. Add flour mixture gradually and mix until just incorporated and smooth. Gradually add oats and white chocolate and mix until well incorporated.

3. Divide dough into 24 equal portions, each about 2 tablespoons. Roll between palms into balls, then place on lined baking sheets about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using fingertips, gently press down each ball to about 3/4-inch thickness.

(These cookies do spread [as can be seen in the picture] so make sure to leave enough space)

4. Sprinkle a flake or two of sea salt on each cookie

5. Bake until cookies are deep golden brown, about 13 to 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack to cool.


These ended up being so delicious it was a real battle to stop myself from scoffing them all before getting them to school. The touch of salt helps so the white chocolate from being too sickly.

1 comment:

  1. I might have to make these for the kids - breakfast (I know not the most healthy but both of them do not like to eat breakfast during the school year). They are perfect for eating in the car on the way to school.

    ReplyDelete