Monday, 7 September 2009

Not Quite Falafel with Homemade Pita


I had an almost disaster when I realised (after I'd had them soaking over night and was excited about trying the recipe) that I'd actually bought dried soybeans instead of the dried chickpeas I thought I'd purchased. JAPANESE LANGUAGE FAIL. I nipped back to the shop to see if I could find the right kind of beans, but I couldn't. Not wanting to waste food I decided I'd just go ahead with the soy, I mean for this purpose beans are beans right? I certainly hoped so. The recipe actually calls for canned beans but I couldn't get them so I had to go the slow way. Revel in the convenience of your canned beans Westerners!

Ingredients serves 4

400g/15oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 small red onion, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
Handful of flat leaf or curly parsley
1 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
1/2 tsp harissa paste or chili powder
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp sunflower oil
toasted pita, salsa, salad to serve (optional)

Substitutes

The aforementioned language issue means my version was made from soybeans instead of chickpeas. Given that it was a success I'm going to say choose whatever beans make you happy.

When it said coriander I wasn't sure if it meant ground coriander or coriander leaf, so I added both.

I used canola oil instead of sunflower.

If you don't have a food processor then cut you ingredients a little finer, then mash and mix together until it's well combined and a consistency you like.

Method

1) Pat chickpeas dry with kitchen paper. Tip into food processor along with the onion, garlic, parsley, spices, flour, and a little salt. Blend until fairly smooth.



This was the consistency mine ended up, it may change depending on what kind of beans you use, but once cooked the burger patties were fried the bean texture was quite soft under the crust, so I'd err more towards coarse than smooth if you're not sure. As long as it keeps shape you're fine.

2)Shape into 4 patties with your hands. I had small pita bread so I made smaller patties. I made 4 and only used half the mixture, so size is up to you. If you're having trouble keeping your patties together you can either try adding a little more flour, or (if you have time) chilling the mixture to help it bond.


3) Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the burgers, the quickly fry for 3 minutes on each side until lightly golden brown (I overdid mine a little so they're darker)



Serve in a toasted pita with salsa and a green salad, or any other way you'd like.


With the exception of the oil you use to fry them, these are really healthy. If you'd like to cut down on the fat, you could try baking them in the oven (flip over half way through) until both sides are nicely browned.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, these look delicious and I have all the ingredients. I think I'm going to try making them tonight (but with chickpeas, lol!)

    ReplyDelete